Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Presenting At Ohio State University

Hey friends!  I hope you are enjoying some restful days during summer break.  I know I sure am. I was blessed with an opportunity to present at The Ohio State University a few weeks ago.  I wanted to share my experience.

Slide1

Back in April, my district announced that it would be having a Best Practices Showcase at The Ohio State University Student Union.  For this professional development, teachers from the district would be leading the sessions.  I received plenty emails about it but never thought about presenting.  A teacher consultant happened to visit my classroom one day and she told me that I should really think about presenting.  My first response was “No way!”  As I thought more about it, I realized that I definitely needed to step out of my comfort zone and submit a proposal.  A few weeks later, I received an email that my proposal was accepted.  Yay!

First off, let me say that I was super nervous about this presentation.  I have presented before WITH my hubby but never alone. I do not consider myself much of a public speaker.  But after much thought, I realized that I am a public speaker in my own classroom every day.  I’m sure that you will agree with me when I say talking to students is a whole lot different than talking to adults.

Since small group is a HUGE part of our curriculum, I decided that this would be my presentation topic.  I needed to make sure that I presented ideas that my teacher friends could take back to their classrooms and use. I knew I also needed a catchy title to get people to come to my session along with some prizes to win.

  Slide4

I wanted to incorporate my guided reading toolkit in my presentation since it has been such a BIG help to me.  You can read about my guided reading tool kit HERE.    I recently updated a few items so stay tuned for an updated post. 

Slide3

I created a math toolkit too.  I will be sharing about this sometime soon.

Slide2

I’m sure you’re wondering how it all turned out.  The presentation turned out better than I thought it would.  I was only scheduled to present during the morning session, but the session was so packed that they asked me to present again in the afternoon.  #winning

Slide5

Did I mention that one of my biggest fans came from out of town to support me?  My MOMMY!  What a blessing to have her right by my side for moral support….LOL!

Slide6

I am truly thankful to my district for providing this opportunity to me and my colleagues.  I am also thankful to my family for supporting me especially my hubby and my mom.

Stay tuned for updated posts on my reading and math tool kits.

Have you ever presented for your district?  I’d love to hear about your experience.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment