Sunday, February 22, 2015

We’re 100 Days Smarter!

Hi Everyone!  I know…..I know…. I know….. Long time, no blog post!  Our poor old blog has taken a back seat for some months now.  All I can say is that we have been super busy, but I hope I’ll make it up to you with this post.  We’ve been off from school for a few days now and I thought it would be a great time to catch up and share with you about our 100th day.  SIDENOTE:  Is anyone just over the snow and frigid weather?

Ok, back to the matter at hand…..

Besides the 50th day of school, the 100th day is a BIG deal to students in the younger grades.  Oh, who am I kidding?  It’s a BIG deal to me too….LOL!

When my students walked in the classroom, I had a few surprises on the desks.  There was a bookmark, a cool pencil, a 100th day sticker (one of my sweet parents sent these in), and a 100th day book for students to work on instead of our everyday morning work.

Check HERE for the bookmark and other (FREEBIE) 100th day activities from Carrie over at A Teacher’s Obsessions.   Check HERE for the book and other 100th day resources from Hope at Elementary Shenanigans.

Slide2 

They loved working on the book.

Slide1

During the morning, we worked on a 100th day venn diagram and a little writing.  Earlier during the week, I took pictures of my students.  I used the Aging Booth App to make them look like old people.  I revealed the pictures to my kiddos before we started our writing.  This had to be the highlight of the day.  I’m sure people on the other side of the building could hear us screaming.

In the venn diagram, my seconds had to compare and contrast being 7-8 years old and 100 years old.

Slide3

Slide4

Students wrote about how they would be when they are 100 years old.  One of my sweet kiddos put that they would be in a retirement home and eat applesauce all day.  Absolutely hilarious!!!

Slide5

I could not pass up the opportunity to make a bulletin board in the hallway with the finished products. 

Slide6

Slide7

In the afternoon, we took some time to make 100th Day Stew.  The week before, I sent home a letter asking parents to donate some dry finger foods. Of course, they came through with so many yummy treats.  We had the works, Y’all!!!! Cheez-its, Swedish fish, Skittles, pretzels….the list goes on and on.  You name it….we had it!

After thoroughly washing our hands and desks, we went to work.  Each student got a bag of something.  The task was to count out 100 of each food and place it on the sorting mat. 

Slide9

Slide8

Slide10

After sorting, we added all the ingredients to a big bowl.  YUMMY!

Slide11

Oh My Word!  Look at this stuff.  I think we made history.  The bowl was filled to capacity. 

Slide12

Of course, each student got a chance to stir, but it was a little difficult because the bowl was so full.

Slide1

Slide2

Slide3

The students enjoyed some stew at school and there was enough for everyone to take some home.   This is what we were left with.

Slide4

What a fantastic day! What fun activities do you do for the 100th day of school?  I would love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment