Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Creating A Space-Themed Classroom & A Year-Round School


Hi All!  Is it HOT, HOT, HOT where you are?  Oh My!
I have officially 6 more days before I have to return to school.  There are 8 more days before students return.  YIKES!  I went into my classroom yesterday to get started.  Boy, do I have a lot to do!  I promised myself that I would not stress about all the stuff that needs to be done.  Easier said than done…let me tell you.    I’ve come to the conclusion that “A teacher’s work is never done!”  Don’t you agree?
I decided to do a BEFORE and AFTER shot of my classroom.  Here’s what it’s looking like at the moment…. A HOT MESS! :)

photo (1)
photo (3) My team members and I decided to do a space theme this school year so it will be interesting to see how “A Hot Mess”  turns into “Outer Space.”  If you follow our blog, you know that I am trying to make a spaceship for my classroom.  EEK!  Stay tuned….Follow us on Instagram to see how my room transforms.  I will definitely give a classroom tour on our blog when it’s all done.  I am also working on this for our store as I am decorating my classroom.  So excited!!!
image
Some of you may be asking, “Why is is this girl going back to school in July?”  Well, I teach at a year-round school.  We start back towards the end of July and we get mini-breaks (intersessions) throughout the school year.  We are usually “on” for about 9 weeks then we are “off” for 3 weeks.  This cycle continues until the middle of June.  We have about 5 weeks vacation in the summer, then we return to start a new school year.  During the intersessions, a small number of students come to school for review and enrichment.  Teachers can choose to teach during these intersessions.  I am lovin’ my schedule y’all.  Overall, I think it’s best for kids and teachers.  I know most teachers like the long break in the summer, but the breaks I get throughout the year allow me to regroup, relax, and refresh….PRICELESS!  Don’t get me wrong though…I am jealous right now of anyone who still has about a month before school starts!..lol  Would you like to work at a year-round school?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Stay cool.

2 comments:

  1. My district is considering Year Round School for next year. They are starting it at 2 schools, a middle and an elementary (although not mine). I think it is a great idea. Unfortunately, many of my colleagues do not - mainly because they do not know anything about it and they are resistant to change. I hope one day to teach in year round! Have a great year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie! Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete