Monday, January 20, 2014

Going In Early & Staying Late…

Hi Friends!  I hope you are enjoying your long weekend.  Let me just say that I am probably the last person who should be posting about time management, but I think I have found something that just might work for me.  If you have the time management woes, read on.  If not, still keep reading and just tuck the information in your back pocket for another time.  

If you’re the kind of teacher that goes in early and stays late…raise your hand!  That’s ME.  I have been doing this for years and I’ve finally realized that I need to change my ways.  The “hubs” and I were talking the other night about how I could manage my time better.  (SN:  He seems to be  able to come home right after work.  Really?)  Here’s what we came up with.

Tip #1
I am going to choose one day of the week that I stay late.  During this time I will prepare for the days ahead.  That may include lesson planning, grading papers, making copies, or WHATEVER needs to be done (in order of importance).  This seems like it might work for me.  I’ve have already picked the day that I will stay late. At the end of each day, I will spend 15 minutes (our planning time) prepping for the morning of the following day.  In the mornings, we also have a 1/2 hour of planning time that I can use to get any extra copies or plans I need.  I have taken into consideration if I have a meeting on my late day.  I’ve chose an alternate day just in case. 

Tip #2
I know I work best when I have a to-do list whether it be on paper or my cell phone.  I usually have two columns on list…..GET DONE NOW and GET DONE LATER.  This helps me stay on track because I have a tendency to want to do things that I should do later first instead of things I need to get done now.

I go back to school on Tuesday, so I will definitely be checking back in about a month to tell how it’s going.  I do love my job but I am realizing that I don’t need to spend countless hours at school to be successful.  Honestly, whatever I don’t get done will surely be there for me the next morning.  Right?  Also the boys are growing so fast, I don’t want to miss a minute. (….tear)

Hopefully, this has helped someone who is struggling in the area of time management.

How do you manage your time wisely?  I would love to hear. 

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment